Sunday, April 6, 2014

#2 Strategy/Plan For research

I have decided that a survey is indeed the best method of researching the potential stigma of society against the Insanity defense. I have given thought to the format of the survey and my target audience. I believe I would like to ask a group of individuals from my generation, and a group of individuals from an older generation. Based on evidence of the use of the insanity defense over the past 30 to 40 years, I suspect that there will be a significant change in the opinions of the two different generations. I plan to develope my survey in a manner that will monitor the responses of individuals to certain case scenarios. I would start with a series of baseline questions, recording whether the individual has had any experience with mental illness with a close family member or friend, whether the individual has had any experience with the law (studied it, worked as an attorney, etc), and a question regarding age bracket. I would also include optional questions about ethnicity and religion as this may play a role in one's inclinations towards sympathy and such. Then, my main series of questions will be of the same general format. I will include a brief summary of a case including a description of the crime, the evidence against the individual, a brief background of the individual, and other basic information. I will then ask the individual whether they think the insanity defense would be applicable, whether it would not be, or whether more information would be required. I would like to include around 20 brief case summaries of various types, some including very horrific crimes, others including morally repulsive actions; some that actually involved the insanity defense in real life and were or were not successful, others that did not. After these I intend to ask one final question as to whether the individual has ever heard of the M'Naghten Test. I will not give any information about this, only a name. This will tell me whether the individual has any professional knowledge about the insanity defense. From these questions, I will be able to examine the general opinions of two generations and their reactions to certain types of cases. From this, I will be able to trace their inclinations regarding the insanity defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment